Local Sports

Liddell, Davis in winner's circle

SEBRING INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY - With the yellow caution flag billowing over the rack track Robin Liddell and Andrew Davis held on for victory in the Grand Sports Class Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge Friday afternoon at the Sebring International Raceway.

"We're really happy with the win," Liddell said. "It was sort of a lame finish with the caution flag, but it feels great to be back in Victory Circle in Sebring."

Driving a Camaro Z/28.R, Liddell and Davis edged John Edwards and Trent Hindman for first place. Edwards voiced his displeasure with finishing second after nearly winning the race.

"We're not happy with second at all," he said. "We had that race. But at the end I didn't want to get a penalty by pacing the caution car with the yellow flag out. And Robin was able to push it and take the lead."

Edwards also praised the large crowd support.

"It's fun to have this much support for a support race on an afternoon weekend," he said. "It's really funs and it means a lot."

Meanwhile, Liddell's teammate couldn't have been happier.

"This is my first win at Sebring," Davis said. "It feels great to get it after coming here for so long. We're happy with the win and it really means a lot for all the support we've gotten from GM."

Davis also qualified the car Dempsey Racing will field in today's Mobil 1 62nd 12 Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida. He said he wasn't pleased that his time celebrating at the podium was cut short.

"This is my favorite part of victory," he said jokingly.

In the GT Class, Andrew Carbonell and Randy Pobst captured first place.

Carbonell, who earned his race license at the Sebring International Raceway thanks to Skip Barbour Racing.

"Coming back here is great," he said. "It's always fun to race at a unique track like this."

Teammate Pobst voiced similar sentiments.

"Sebring is a great old track," Pobst said. "You really get a feel for it in the Mazda's, which are perfect for it."

The race took a frightening turn when Mark Miller, driving the Mazda MX-5 was bumped off the track and into a stack of tires while going full speed.

The front of Miller's car was demolished and the driver looked woozy to observers.

After clearing the track, he was taken to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Officials from the International Motor Sports Association said he was alert and responding to doctors after his wreck.

"Our thoughts are definitely with Mark right now," Davis said. "We heard he's OK and if he's coming around we know he'll be trying to text everyone to tell them congratulations."