Red Devils sweep Dragons

AVON PARK - The Avon Park Youth Football teams dominated the first three football games they played against the Lake Placid Green Dragons. The last game went down to the wire as the Red Devils Park scored in the final minutes to complete the sweep over the Green Dragons on Saturday at Memorial Field. The littlest Red Devils remained undefeated at 4-0 with a 33-0 subduing of the Green Dragons in the Flag football game. Lake Placid's record fell to 2-2 for the season. Christopher Martin scored one touchdown and Eric Williams added two more for Avon Park. Three-time and current Super Bowl champions, the Mitey Mite Red Devils, did not miss a beat with a 31-0 win over the Green Dragons. Omari Ford and Jamaree Welch each scored a touchdown for the defending champions. Travis Kerney stole the spotlight with three touchdowns as the Mitey Mite Avon Park team improved their record for the season to 3-1. Lake Placid dropped to 1-3 for the season.
Avon Park's domination continued in the third game which featured the Pee Wees. The Red Devils built a 21-0 first-quarter lead as Jabari Knighten scored on a pair of 50-yard touchdown runs that sandwiched a 30 yard score by Malcolm Dewberry. Avon Park led at the half 28-0 as Derrick Cobb posted a touchdown run of 30 yards in the second quarter. The Red Devils did not slow down in the second half as Dewberry scored on a 10-yard run in the third quarter for his second touchdown of the day, giving Avon Park a 35-0 lead after three quarters. Knighten added two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter on runs of 7 and 62 yards for a total of four touchdowns to complete the scoring barrage as the Red Devils beat Lake Placid 48-0. With the win, the Avon Park Pee Wee team remains unbeaten at 4-0 as Lake Placid fell to 2-2 for the season. The final game of the day showcased two undefeated teams in the Junior game. This game would pit Lake Placid's high powered offense against Avon Park's defense that had not allowed a point in the first three games. Lake Placid snapped the Avon Park's defense scoreless streak in the first quarter as they drove down the field and Jacqueaz Bivins punched the ball in from 5 yards to put Lake Placid up 7-0 after converting the extra point. The game turned into a defensive struggle as the score remained in Lake Placid's favor, 7-0 , at the half. In the third quarter, Avon Park was able to score on a 2-yard run by David Martin, but failed to convert the extra point and continued to trail the Green Dragons 7-6 until midway through the fourth quarter. With only two touchdowns scored in the first 34 minutes (10 minute quarters), the two teams combined for three touchdowns in the final six minutes. Avon Park took the lead with 5:46 left in the game as Johnny Brown scored on a 2-yard run. Again Avon Park failed on the extra point, as they now led the Green Dragons 12-7. The Red Devil lead would not last long as Lavantay Callhan returned the kickoff back to the Avon Park 20-yard line. From there, Lake Placid drove to the 1-yard line and Green Dragon quarterback Quwesmeal Sholtz powered the ball over the goal line for a 14-12 lead with 4:26 left in the game. With momentum shifted to the Green Dragons, they forced Avon Park into a fourth-and-five situation on their own 25 with the game on the line. Avon Park decided to go for it. Quarterback Logan Page took the snap and immediately looked down field to the left side. Page let the pass go as he received pressure from the Lake Placid defense. The ball soared to a lone red jersey surrounded by three green. Amazingly, Avon Park's Keyshawn Hicks was able to get his hands on the ball, actually lost the ball on the way to falling on his back, then catch the ball while on the ground to give the Red Devils the first down around midfield. This play shifted the momentum back to the Red Devils as they drove the ball down to the Lake Placid 1-yard line. From there, Page capped off the drive with a quarterback sneak up the middle as Avon Park retook the lead with 1:27 left in the game. Avon Park caught another break on the kickoff as the ball bounced into the end zone for an automatic touchback and eliminating any chance of a long return for Lake Placid. Starting from their 20, Lake Placid was unable to score as time ran out preserving the win 18-14 for Avon Park. With the victory, Avon Park improved to 4-0 as Lake Placid suffered its first loss of the season to fall to 3-1. The Sebring Blue Streaks went to Okeechobee to face the Brahmans. They won the Flag game 6-0 and the Mitey Mite game 37-0. Okeechobee won the Senior game 27-0. Avon Park travels to DeSoto on Saturday to play the Bulldogs. Lake Placid will also be on the road as they head to Okeechobee to play the Lil Brahmans. Sebring will stay home and host the Lee County Steelers.